MAIN DISTRIBUTION BOARD INSTALLATION FOR ODP
Thanks to an Energy Audit subsidized by the Kenyan Association of Manufacturers (KAM), this project was made possible.
To replace the old main distribution board with a new compact main distribution board so as to allow for automatic switching (between grid power and Diesel Generator), create space for installation of a voltage optimizer and other future upgrades.
The Actual Project
The building was served with an old British standard distribution board build using a 1.5mm2 heavy gauge metal sheet. It had the dimensions of 3.5M × 1.2M × 2.5M (Length × Width × Height) but had only two (2) functional circuit breakers;
- The KPLC 1250A main incomer
- The 32A basement light circuit breaker
The 1250A main incomer breaker had three primary pre-terminated loads i.e. terminated on the input of the breaker not output;
- The buildings main load, through the 1250A breaker
- Safaricom 3Ø tapings through the KPLC cut out fuses to Safaricom 3Ø meter
- Airtel 1Ø taping through KPLC’s cut out fuse to Airtel’s 1Ø meter
From the 1250A breaker, power was terminated to a completely “stand alone” MDB. This MDB had a 1000A MCCB as the main isolator that also acted as the main feed to the 630A, 3Ø, external automatic change over where the 500kVA CAT generator was also connected.
Our design and installation was done to get rid of all this redundancies, i.e. Install a new panel of smaller size 2.2M × 0.6M × 1.8M (Length× Width ×Height) than the existing panel with an inbuilt 630A, 3Ø, automatic change over to provide extra space for installation of a voltage optimizer and other equipment if need be in the future.
Slideshow of process
- Regular (monthly) maintenance of the panel i.e. dusting with a vacuum blower probably and checking the tightness if the power cables
- Yearly comprehensive tests on effective earthing, insulation strength, PFC capacitor banks and automatic switching of the change overs.
- Weekly general inspection of the switch room (visual), to see if ALL electrical installations are working okay or not and carrying out in house cleaning of the switch room.